Sunday, December 30, 2012

I gotta get me some of the sweet bell ringing gloves...


Joy of all Joys!

I am home.  I still have cancer, so that kind of sucks, but hey, at least I get a few days off to get some sense of normalcy.  I'm watching the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast that is broadcast nationally from SLC every Sunday.  Apparently this is their big New Year's celebration.  They have brought out the big guns this Sunday  and have the full on orchestra, complete with bell choir. Couple things I've noticed.

  1. The mo-tab needs some fashion advice, or at least change the strategy of making all ladies look like they are dressed in a sack
  2. It's pretty impossible not to look like you are having a wonderful time will ringing big a-bells. I need to get me some of those sweet gloves as well.  
Everyone is likely aware that the Tibbs clan had the distinct opportunity to have christmas at the hospital this year.  While  I wasn't able to execute on my plan of having razor scooter races around the floor, we did have a very nice Christmas.  I think we managed to maintain a sense of normalcy for brad and lucy, and even managed to have a little fun.  

I have found that there is a pesky correlation with how I feel, and how much chemotherapy I've recently received.  Right now, I'm feeling great.  Shortly after I initially received the first dose, I felt not-unlike the gum at the bottom of your shoe might feel like.  One of the pesky things about chemo, is that you never start at the same baseline.  you are perpetually starting from a starting line that keeps getting pushed back with each heat, all while hoping to maintain the same finish time you started with.  

I stumbled upon a beautiful quote from Susan Sontag:

"Everyone who is born holds dual citizenship, in the kingdom of the well and in the kingdom of the sick. Although we all prefer to use only the good passport, sooner or later each of us is obliged, at least for a spell, to identify ourselves as citizens of that other place."






I now find myself using my passport to the kingdom of the sick, and, though I might never come to a complete understanding or appreciation of the particulars of my position, I find solace that there IS some appreciation to be gained from the less than fun activity.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping up your blog! We were so glad to hear that you would be at home for a few days! I eat up all good news with greed! Can't wait to see you in your knitted knights helmut, ha ha! We're cheering for you(and praying)!

    Lots of love,

    Renehan Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to post a pic in your knight helmet it is so sweet!


    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, you still amaze me! You are my hero. You stay so positive in the midst of this storm you are facing. I don't think many people could have the courage to do this. Keep up the good work. Me and so many other people are praying for you; you've got to know how much you are loved. Happy New Year my friend. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,
    Somehow I can picture you going around the East wing with your Knight helmut on along with the bell ringing gloves on, ringing the bells and making people laugh. I just can't figure out the tune of song you're ringing the bells to.
    Warmest wishes,
    Eric Turnquist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog Joe. It's inspiring to see your bright spirit and sense of humor haven't missed a beat. But I can't help but think your missing out on a great opportunity to monetize. Maybe contact the people behind the knit helmut? Or maybe a tasteful pop-up ad for your new methotrexate flavor of mountain dew "cancer to the EXTREME!!!" We love you guys.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete